Thursday, September 20, 2018

A.Fox Studio




I was lucky enough to be invited by Tammi and Thabiso from Establishd to the media launch of A.Fox Studio in Fairmount, Johannesburg this past Saturday and while I obviously did some research on the place beforehand, I was just not prepared for what I encountered. 

Before I get into the nuts and bolts of my visit, I just want to start by saying that Alina Kuzmenko, the owner of A.Fox Studio, is one of the loveliest humans I’ve ever encountered and has such an inspirational story about the founding of her studio.  Alina came to South Africa from the Ukraine around 4 years ago, after Russia invaded the country.  She packed up her family and settled here, where she started working at other salons as a nail technician. 

Eventually, Alina found a way to open her own salon – with all the bells, whistles and standards of an Eastern European salon in sunny SA.  She told me how the landlords of the space that she had wanted for her salon (which she is currently in) had denied her proposal on the basis that the centre already had a nail salon.  Alina described how she had barged in on a board meeting with her proposal and samples of her work, declaring loudly that she is an artist not a nail technician and she knew her business would be a success. 

And here we are. 



First of all, can we talk about how luxurious this nail salon is?  The navy and royal blues with metallic accents spoke to my actual soul and I was instantly in awe.  I absolutely love that Alina thought of the little capes with the ribbons because she works with machines to buff nails and she didn’t want to ruin outfits. 



One wall is adorned with trophies and others with nail art on another level to anything I’ve seen in Johannesburg (Muffins, the self-proclaimed expert :’D). 




On the counter, in a glass case like a Fabreges egg, are tiny acrylic sculptures that Alina created for competitions.  Alina has 96 first place prizes for nail design competitions around the world.  It was probably at this stage that I realised that I was fairly out of my depth as a beauty blogger. 



As the first person to arrive, Alina gave me a personal tour of the salon.  She explained to me that her studio is a cut above the rest for two reasons: firstly, her nail design is unique in South Africa and secondly, she invested thousands into a sterilisation room for all her instruments.  Coming from the Kiev, Ukraine, around 3 years ago, Alina found that South African salons did not have the same sterile standards as those of Eastern Europe.  So when she opened her salon, she made it a priority. 

I should probably interject at this point with a shameful admission: I took photos of everything except the sterilisation room and then my battery died.  So I can’t show you, but I can tell you.  All instruments are sterilised three times before they are individually sealed for each customer.  This way, your nail artist opens sterile instruments in front of you each time you go.  Nail files are disposed of or given to the customer.  Alina will only keep your file if you are a regular customer and she will only use it on you.  As someone with obsessive compulsive behaviours, this part of the salon spoke to me on a truly spiritual level. 

Other services provided by the salon included nail art design and other courses, as well as permanent makeup and lash extensions.  



Alina did my nails personally during my visit.  I told her I like blush pink, navy blue, glamourous things and evil eyes/religious iconography.  I told Alina to show me what she could do.  Well, ladies (and gentlemen, erm, Mark), Alina went for the kill and gave me the nails of my dreams. 

First of all, Alina uses a machine to buff your nails and painlessly lift your cuticles.  I personally cringe when I see that little wooden stick coming out at a nail salon.  This was completely pain free. 



Secondly, she doesn’t use tips and sculpts the acrylic by hand, like you see in Instagram videos.  Every singly nail on my hand was individually sculpted by Alina and her little brush. 

She copied the evil eye design from a photo I found on Pinterest freehand as well. 



If you die for those nail art videos on Instagram and Facebook, A.Fox Studio is definitely where you need to be getting your nails done.  I’ll be real about the price: they are not what you could call a budget salon, but at the end of the day, Alina and her ladies are not your run-of-the-mill nail technicians.  They are well-trained artists who cater to a very specific type of client.  If you’re looking for your typical gel-mani, I can recommend other places.  If you’re looking for a stand-out, one-of-a-kind, totally unique and supremely luxurious mani, look no further than A.Fox Studio. 

You can contact the studio on 0606040300 and find them in the Genesis Centre in Fairmount, just off George Avenue.  

Also, be sure to follow Alina on Facebook (@A.foxnails, @AlinaFoxacademy and @AlinaFoxArt) and Instagram (@a.fox_studio and @alina_foxsa).  


Wishing you love and light until next time ♡♡♡