Thursday, January 25, 2018

January 2018



New Years’ resolutions seem to have become a thing of the past, considering how they quickly they vanish from the forefront of our consciousness when the chocolate cake spins your way in the revolving refrigerators. 

Every year between January and February, there is a flood of new memberships the gym for the “new year, new me” crowd who are finally going to shed those extra 5kg’s that have been clinging for dear life to their host body.  By March, there are only a handful of them left. 

I literally restart my language courses each year because I’ve forgotten everything I learnt in the first few months I dedicated myself to it.  I have diaries that I intend to plan my life around, but I forget about them within a few weeks of the year.  I clean my room every year, but by December again, I have even more piles of shit to throw out that I hoarded over the course of the year. 

This year, however, I have a completely new mindset.  Every single thing that runs through my head is now run through my heart: how does that make you feel?

The truth is, resolutions make me feel like shit.  They make me feel like a failure because I allowed life to overwhelm me.  They plant seeds of doubt for my greater plans: if you can’t keep a diary up to date, how on earth will you get a post-grad degree? 

So this year, the year I put myself first and take care of my own needs, I have not made any resolutions.  I don’t feel like spending my year trying to keep up with a cool 2018 reading challenge – which in principle is an amazing concept and I love the idea of (especially in schools, teachers *cough cough*) – but will make reading exactly that: challenging.  I love to read; I’m certainly not going to make it a chore for me to just tick boxes off on a list. 

I have not resolved to eat more strictly as per my dietary limitations.  I’m going to do what is best for my body and my soul. God may not have given me the digestive system to appropriately digest lactose products but He certainly crafted ice cream for a divine purpose and I’ll be damned if I let that go to waste. 

In terms of gym, the only goal I really strive for is my 16 check-ins per month to get my maximum cash back reward from my medical aid and I’m not going to feel one iota of shame for going to gym just to buy a dragon fruit smoothie bowl from Kauai.  I will train when I want to and how I like to, whether that’s twice a day for three weeks, or once every second week because that is what will make me feel best.

Goodbye Tinder, goodbye Bumble (good riddance).  This year I’m all about nurturing and developing the relationships I already have in my life – with my moms, my sisters, extended family members, friends I’ve recently reconnected with, friends I made during 2017.  I no longer wish to start meaningless conversations with random strangers.  Yes, free coffee is nice, but for the price of that coffee, I could have an hour to myself and a book and a coffee. 

Most importantly, I’m no longer restricting myself to writing just about makeup.  I love makeup and I’m not going to stop writing about it altogether, but I’m also going to be writing about broader topics that interest me.  Within reason, of course, I mean, I have a degree in politics and work in HR – I am 100% sure that none of my readers will come back to read about how to legally dismiss an employee in your organisation. 

I will go into more detail on this at a later stage, but in brief, 2017 was a year of chaos for me.  My entire future collapsed around me 8 months in and I spent the last 4 months grieving for the person I was and the plans I had made. 

2018 is not a new chapter of my story.  It is the new volume, where the butterfly sheds the cocoon and leaves it behind.  Where the nectar of flowers is so sweet, the butterfly forgets that it ever sustained itself on ordinary leaves.  Where the butterfly’s sole purpose is to feed itself to contentment. 

Wishing you love and light and no more appallingly embarrassing metaphors ♡♡♡