Tuesday, June 5, 2018

A Lazy Girl's Guide to a Smoky Eye




The title of this post is totally appropriate since it took every ounce of determination I had in me to pull it together and put on a full face of makeup to demonstrate.  Also, that tiny ounce of determination that I did have was just because I bought the new L’Oreal Infallible Stick Foundation and I was dying to try it.  But I’ll post a mini-review of that on my Instagram soon. 

This post is for all the lazy girls.  It’s for all the girls who want minimum input and maximum output.  Ladies, I got you. 

This is more of a smoky-eye theory than a how-to.  I mean, I am glow-in-the-dark pale (thankfully with a yellow undertone, so now lobster sunburn for me!).  It doesn’t make sense to tell everyone how I do my smoky-eye.  So get out your notebooks, because class is in session.  This look is a three shade, two brush look – like I said, absolute minimal effort. 



Step One: Transition Shade
This is pretty much the foundation of your entire smoky eye.  You want to find a shade that is only a few shades darker than your natural skin tone to create a base for the entire look.  It helps everything blend together smoothly. 

I usually go for the lightest/second lightest shade in any palette and because of my yellow undertone, I generally prefer warmer tones.  My example, however, in this case is cool-toned because I actually love this little mini Nyx palette. 

Use a big fluffy blending brush to work your transition shade all over your lid and your crease, until you’re happy with the depth of colour.  You can also blend it out along your lower lash line if you’re going for the full effect.  If you’re ultra-lazy, you can skip this and just smudge out your eyeliner at the end. 

Step Two: Deepen your Crease
Using a smaller, tulip-shaped brush, work your second shade into your crease (and along your lower lash line again if you’re doing that).  Blend it out with your big fluffy brush to soften any harsh lines.  You can add more of your second shade until you’re happy with the gradient.  Just make sure that you blend it out each time. 



Step Three: Utter Darkness
Your deepest shade should be your black (or near black if you’re not keen on it).  This colour only needs to be worked into your outer V area of your eye, again with your smaller tulip brush.  Once again, blend out with your big fluffy brush.  It may help to add a bit more of your transition shade to your fluffy brush if any harsh lines are not blending. 

Like with all dark colours, remember that less is more.  Especially with black shadow.  You can always add more, but you have to start from scratch almost if you use too much. 

Step Four: Finishing Touches
Black eyeliner on your waterline and tightline (maybe a wing, if you’re adventurous), black mascara.  Done.  If you don’t want to use your shadows beneath your lower lash line, use a (third, eep!) flat shadow brush to smudge out your black liner to create balance. 

This is only a basic guide of a very simple look.  You can always add to this and make it your own, for example by adding a shimmery shadow all over your lid to create some dimension, or use your deeper shades further onto the lid.  I’ve taken the white shade from my mini Nyx palette to highlight my inner corners. 



This guide is very rudimentary (at best), so if you do use it to create your own smoky eye look, please tag me in your photo on Instagram.  I would love to see different interpretations of this!


Wishing you love and light until next time ♡♡♡