Sunday, November 25, 2018

I don't think you're ready for this jelly



First of all, what are you people even doing these days?  My day job has been a nightmare with back to back cases and I’ve been working almost non-stop.  Can you just not misbehave for like 5 minutes so I can catch my breath and have a chance to talk to about things I outside of HR?  Please and thank you. 
Side note: I was at the shops on Black Friday and I saw all of you bunking work.  I hope you all have medical certificates.  #justsaying

More importantly, regarding today’s topic of discussion, am I giving away my age by automatically equating gel/jelly products with jelly shoes of the 90’s?  My mind instantly goes to pre-school days when all the cool kids had jelly shoes, which I don’t think I ever owned because they had heels on them.  It then switches over to the early 2000’s when everyone had Rider slides, which is a period I like to neglect in the dark recesses of my memory bank (except for my pair of white and blue Nike Cortez sneaks – those were hot as).

I realised recently that I have been using a lot of gel/jelly products as well, because it’s been absolutely melting lately and also, I have oily skin so I automatically steer towards gel water-based products any way.  I’ve compiled a list of my favourite gel products for this summer. 

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Moisturiser
You should surely know that I have been a long time Clinique devotee, so if anything can change my mind about my basic 3 step program, it must be amazing.  
Well, this water gel moisturiser is amazing.  It’s light on the skin and quickly absorbed, with all the benefits of a regular oil based moisturiser.  It also comes in at around R150, which is dramatically cheaper than my previous moisturiser (only die-hard Clinique fans will get the pun there).  So that’s a huge bonus too. 

Johnson’s Fresh Hydration Micellar Cleansing Jelly
One of the advantages of inheriting beauty obsessed teenage daughters from your partner is that they buy a lot of things that I can test out before buying for myself if I like it.  A few weeks ago, Jenna bought this product and because of an alleged cricket infestation in the girls’ bathroom, left it in ours.  So I gave it a shot and I absolutely love it.  I don’t use it as my daily cleanser, but rather use it to rinse of all my makeup before using my cleanser.  It’s not 100% effective, especially over the eyes but it makes a pretty large dent and micellar water smells like the time I almost died with Poncho’s tequila, so it’s the real winner. 
I believe I paid around R60.00 for the 200ml bottle.
Also, it’s roses so...

Bio-Oil Dry Skin Gel
My love for Bio-Oil runs deep already, but this little baby has truly changed the game.  While I still occasionally cleanse my skin with Bio Oil before I wash my face, I add a dab of this gel to my moisturiser every night.  I always worry that I’ll dry out my skin by constantly using oily skin products, so this is my true peace mind. 
Just don’t pay too much attention to the price tag.  Yes, it’s steep (I think the little 50ml tub I bought was like R90 – I may be wrong) but a little truly goes a long way. 

The Body Shop Drops of Light Pure Resurfacing Liquid Peel
I’m not saying I bought this because of the white and metallic pink bottle, but...
No, actually I’m obsessed with any product that offers brightening effects or anything that says “glow”. 
This product is really confusing because it’s the quickest mini peel ever.  Two pumps onto your fingers, massage onto your face until you get yucky flakes all over and rinse.  That’s it.  The effects, however, speak for themselves and your skin is left baby soft and dewy.  I prefer using this after I’ve spent the day in a full face of makeup, just because I feel that my skin is 100% clean afterwards and I don’t have any chance of blocked pores that I may have missed. 

Silver Genesis Super HydroGel
You know the dad in My Big Fat Greek Wedding and how his miracle cure-all is Windex?
My grandpa was like that with Vicks (which by the way, is also my go-to for most problems).  It didn’t matter if it was a blocked nose or a cut that should have had at least 9 stitches, he just lathered on the Vicks and waited for it to heal. 

So everyone, especially slightly older *cough* gentlemen, have their thing, right?

Super HydroGel is my boyfriend’s thing.  He’s been using this stuff for a while and uses it for everything, and now I do to.  It’s list of uses range from acne to skin cancer (which is a very bold claim, but ok).  It’s made of seaweed extract, aloe ferox, carrot and lavender oil and “energised using nano silver technology”, whatever that means. 
All I know is that this stuff if absolutely amazing.  I’ve totally eliminated any kind of skin texture of my face by adding a squeeze of this stuff to my morning moisturiser.  I also put it over my cuticles after a manicure because they tend to get a little sensitive.  It’s also my go-to tattoo after treatment. 
Like I said, this can be used for everything. 

BONUS ROUND: The Silisponge
Enough said. 

Life has been crazy busy since I last blogged.  I’ve since attended two movie premieres (Bohemian Rhapsody and Creed 2 – with thanks to fellow blogger, the beautiful Melanie Pretorius), work has been non-stop with back-to-back cases because people don’t know how to act at work apparently, I’ve gone back to gym, I’m no longer blonde and I’ve even bought my dream car.  I’d love for you to engage with me on my Instagram and let me know what kind of content you’d be keen for, in terms of movie reviews or other kinds of lifestyle posts. 

Wishing you love and light until next time ♡♡♡