Wednesday, March 7, 2018

How I found out I can't hear out of my left ear so well



Since my Tinder post went off like a bomb, I thought I’d serve up another story time with a healthy side of mild embarrassment.  Although I’m not easily embarrassed, so I’d rather call it social discomfort. 

Let me tell you about the time I found out I have very little hearing in my left ear.  Not entirely sure how it happened, but this was the event that alerted me to my diminished auditory ability. 

Long, long ago, when Cornerhouse still stood in Fourways, my sister and I used to go there for some of the bands and stuff.  Not frequently or anything, because that place was rough af.  So there we are, Meagan, friend Jayd and me, going to watch some Mean Mr Mustard (that’s right, this is how long ago it was: 2009). I tried to find some photo evidence but it seems that I have successfully erased pre-glow-up Melissa from social media.  

We mill around downstairs but it’s really crowded so we decide to head up to the balcony, which is entirely vacant.  While on the balcony, looking out over the crowd, I spotted two guys talking while pointing at us and started making their way upstairs.

Now, for the younger readers, let me try to explain how dark a period 2009 actually was when it came to men in my age group.  First of all, they were not men, they were boys.  Secondly, it was the age of “pop punk” and dry shampoo was an invention of the future.  Therefore hair was long and greasy and revolting.  (BTW, the alternative was a Mohawk with a tail/mini-mullet at the back – no one was a winner).  The only positive thing I could say about the era was that skate shoes were finally getting smaller. 

So there we are, waiting for these guys to make their way up to us, even though we’d be shutting them down like Windows shortly.  I get the one with the longest hair – lucky me.  He starts talking to me and soon establishes that with all the music in the confined area, I could not hear shit. 



So he invades my personal space and holds me around the back of my neck, and closes my left earhole with his thumb.  Then he carries on speaking to me, leaning in close.  I, however, could still not hear anything. 

You know when someone keeps saying something and you’re not sure what they said, so you just start answering to what you think you heard?  Yes, don’t do that. 

I thought this guy kept leaning over to say “are you ok with me?”, so to be polite I vigorously nodded my head and said ‘yes’ very clearly.  I mean, I should have questioned it after he asked me the fourth time, looking very upset.  Then he all but yelled in my ear “I said, are you ashamed of me?!”



That poor boy.  He never saw that coming.  I mean, I wasn’t keen but I certainly wouldn’t be ashamed of being seen with a grimy-looking-late-teenager in public.  Would I?

I still laugh about it to this day.  So that is why if we ever meet in a loud club, direct all of your comments to my RIGHT ear. 

Until next time, love and light ♡♡♡