Tuesday, May 1, 2018

New Essence Products: April/May 2018




Me: Save money for tattoos and retirement.
Also me: Ooh, new Essence products!

I don’t know why I’m trusted as an adult of almost 28 years when I am clearly so financially irresponsible.  I miss school days when my biggest responsibility was making sure I don’t fail science even though I had Mo from The Simpsons teaching the roof and investigating strange smells in the lockers. 

Alas, life moves on and here I am, a supposedly functional member of society who makes their own decisions (except what time I can come home at night – curfews suck). 

I recently purchased a few of the new products from Essence that have just been released.  I have decided to review the products while creating a look with them. 



You Better Work! Gym Proof Primer
I’m so glad Essence has answered the call of its fans and created some affordable primers.  A primer creates a barrier between your foundation and your skin, meaning you’re less likely to suffer breakouts (although this is not guaranteed if your skin is sensitive or the primer itself blocks your pores). 

This primer promises an instant blurring effect and extreme long wear under Sweaty Betty conditions.  It’s also tinted green to prevent you from looking like you’re about to have a coronary episode while you’re working out.  Bonus: it also has SPF20. 



Back in my Tinder days, I had several “first dates” at the gym where I’d trial run all prospective dates and let them buy me a Nut Milk smoothie at Kauai afterwards (the most expensive and delicious one on the menu, thank you very much).  This primer would have been amazing for those dates, when I was pretending to be a magical unicorn who was “sparkling” not sweating. 

Brighten Up! Banana Powder
We’ve seen all our favourite YouTubers using banana powder to brighten up their under eye area while setting their foundation and concealer, but realistically we’ve only had access to very expensive versions of it. 



I am fairly ambivalent towards this product.  While it did seem to highlight my under eye area in synthetic lighting, I didn’t notice much of a difference in natural lighting.  It seemed a little too translucent to make any significant difference for me, but I am willing to accept that it may have been my poor lighting. 

Mermaid Shadow Box 03 My Shell is My Castle
Let’s be honest here: you can put “mermaid” or “unicorn” on anything these days and it’ll sell faster than flower crowns at Coachella.  Not that I’m judging or anything, because here I am sitting with an eye shadow palette with a mermaid theme. 

I bought this because I thought it was really cute and I am a marketer’s dream, but I will admit that I am fairly underwhelmed by the layout and the size differences between the pans.  Pigmentation is averagely Essence quality – shimmers are always much better than mattes.  Although, I should say matte since there is only one matte out of the 10 shades, which is so pale and unpigmented that you can’t even use it as a transition shade.  I ended up using my All About Roses palette just for a transition shade. 



The shimmers are amazing and could justify buying the entire palette, provided you have a backup for a transition. 

Longlasting Eye Pencil in Deep-Sea Baby
I don’t even know if this is just a new shade in the range, because I’ve been using the Longlasting Eye Pencil in Black Fever for forever and it’s my favourite.  I, however, felt compelled to buy it in navy because of my most recent obsession with the colour. 



There’s not much I can say about this product, because it’s super pigmented and creamy and blends out like an absolute dream.  I will always recommend this product. 

Glow to Go Illuminating Setting Spray
I’ve said it before but I am so amped for the fall of matte skin, despite the oily nature of my own.  I’ve been mixing illuminating drops/highlighters/whatever works into my matte foundations for a while now, so this spray is the cherry on top for countering the mattifying properties of most other skin products. 



FYI: When the bottle says “shake well”, shake it very well.  I found a few pearly-pink splatters all over my face that I had to blend out with my beauty blender. 



Overall, I love the mermaid-inspired look I created with the products but my standout product has to be the illuminating setting spray.  I love the way it reflects light off my face and I am so excited to try it with my Clinique Even Better Glow foundation. 

Wishing you all love and light ♡♡♡