Thursday, July 12, 2018

Dove One Wash Challenge and Trial with Friends with Beauty Bulletin



Now that life is back to normal, I can finally upload my review of some Dove products in conjunction with BeautyBulletin.  The whole purpose of the exercise was to try it out with a group of your friends because of the different hair types the products in the box were designed for and to also document the effects after just one wash.  I, however, do not like that many people and also love my mommy, which meant I was able to try all the products and give my own opinion on all of them. 

Dove Pure Care Dry Oil Shampoo and Dove Nutritive Solutions Nourishing Oil Care Daily Treatment Conditioner


This was my first pick from my box of treasures because as a bleachy-blonde, I require as much moisture as I can add for my poor traumatised strands. 

My first wash included the Dove Pure Care Dry Oil Treatment Mask with these products and I was absolutely stunned.  In the almost 10 years of me bleaching my hair, my hair has never felt so soft.  It looked healthier and more natural than it has for the last 9 years. 

I then packed just the shampoo and conditioner for my recent trip away in the Drakensberg.  The containers are perfect for travel, because they’re fairly small and compact (though this does give rise to the adversity of the shampoo only having 250ml and the conditioner 180ml) and they were perfect for the dry winter air and quick, brushless blowdries. 

The only negative thing I could possibly say about these is that it does very little to protect my colour and keep brassiness at bay.  The only way I could regularly use the shampoo is if I follow it with a rinse of purple shampoo for my colour.

Dove Advanced Hair Series Oxygen Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner
While I did use these products, it didn’t really add that much volume to my hair since I have so much hair and it’s already weighed down a lot by the sheer quantity of it.  I gave these products to my mommy and my sister, both of whom struggle with fine, flat hair. 


Both reported that while the shampoo and conditioner gave them an initial boost in volume, it didn’t last very long at all.  I think my mom’s exact words were “my hair is pap in an hour”, which says a lot because my mom styled her hair exactly as she normally does, with a full blow wave, curlers and 3 litres of hair spray. 


Dove Nutritive Solutions Nourishing Oil Care Treatment Mask
If you have thick hair (or any kind of length in your hair), you know what a nightmare spider tangles are.  When my hair was at its longest, I was cutting these knots out because I just could not deal. 

Thanks to the review of another blogger on Instagram, I discovered that this mask doubles as a detangler, which is great at the end of a winter day when my spider knots are the worst after the underside of hair has rubbed along my scarf all day. 

Dove Nutritive Solutions Intensive Repair Treatment Mask
I found that this mask differed very little from the effect that the other two masks in the box had.  After using this mask, my hair was soft and sporting a healthy shine, just as the other masks.  I imagine that it contains other ingredients that would strengthen damaged hair (as the name suggests) but after using all the other masks, this one seemed a little redundant. 


That, of course, is a totally subjective opinion.  There is nothing wrong with the product itself, it provided exactly what it claimed to, but my hair has been ultra-conditioned now and the difference was unremarkable because of that. 


The last few weeks have been super busy and thankfully I had the opportunity to withdraw from the madness for a week and spend some time in the Drakensberg.  I’m not a travel blogger, but you can message me on Instagram (@justcallmemuffins) or comment down below if you’d like an attempt at a blog post on my trip.  

Wishing you love and light until next time ♡♡♡